Tenant’s FAQ

Can I withhold rent if the landlord fails to carry out maintenance?
No.  The landlord is only obliged to carry out such repairs and maintenance that are not merely an inconvenience but that make it impossible for the use and enjoyment of your home.


Is there any law which exists to protect my rights?
Yes.  Common Law, the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the Consumer Protection Act protect both yourself and the landlord from exploiting each other and against other forms of unfair practice.


What would happen to me if the unit is sold?
If your home is sold, the new landlord is bound to honour any rental agreement existing at the time of the sale, this is a common law principle, however your lease may contain clauses permitting termination of tenancy, please read it carefully.


If I get permission to install a security gate, burglar guards or fitted carpets and do so, can I remove them when I vacate?
No. Fixtures and fittings are permanent and become the property of the landlord. Unless the landlord requires you to remove them and to reinstate the unit to its original condition, at your own cost.


Can the landlord or his agent enter my home whenever he pleases?
No.  Neither the landlord nor his agent may enter the premises without your consent; the lease entitles you to limited real rights in the property. You are however expected to provide reasonable access to the premises for the purpose of inspection or repairs.


If I have a burglary and my goods are stolen am I covered by insurance?
No. The property insurance does not cover your personal belongings. It is strongly advised that you insure your goods.